How to be Picture Perfect
by Jackie Silver
In the age of the selfie, the desire to be picture perfect has never been more powerful. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a selfie is described as, “A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone and shared via social media.” Obvi, but just wanted to give you the “official” definition. So, how can we look picture perfect, whether it’s a selfie, a group shot or a photo someone else takes? Use these tips to capture your perfect image.
Picture Perfect Tips
1) First and foremost, everyone over age 25 should be doing Facial Magic facial exercises! If you’re still not convinced, maybe science will convince you. A Northwestern University study published on January 3, 2018 in JAMA Dermatology and reported in the New York Times confirms that, “The exercises enlarge and strengthen the facial muscles, so the face becomes firmer and more toned and shaped like a younger face.” There you have it!
2) Angle top to bottom. When taking your selfie, be sure to hold the camera so the photo is slightly above you, pointing at a downward angle. This hides any neck issues (which you can fix with Facial Magic, wink wink) and elongates the subject, making you look sleeker and more lean.
3) Sit up straight. I always say that to people I’m photographing (I used to professionally shoot models for their portfolios). Good posture makes everyone look better in pictures – and in real life.
4) Show your left side. What? A 2012 study by Kelsey Blackburn and James Schirillo from Wake Forest University shows that images of the left side of the face are perceived and rated as more pleasant than pictures of the right side of the face, possibly due to the fact that we present a greater intensity of emotion on the left side of our face.
5) Go for the gold. Professional photographers know that the Golden Hour (typically sunset or sunrise) is the best time for beautiful photos. During this time our section of the Earth is bathed in the golden glow of the sun that makes every color look warm, radiant and overall just gorgeous.
So go out there and be bold, be beautiful and be picture perfect with these tips.