Nutrition is EVERYTHING! Eye health and nutrition are a natural! Although there is no cure for this condition, there are steps you can take to alleviate, stop and perhaps reverse this malady. This disease, likely caused by inflammation, and is usually noticed by those over 50 as their vision becomes distorted or fuzzy.
The Mayo Clinic defines this condition: Macular degeneration causes loss in the center of the field of vision. In dry macular degeneration, the center of the retina deteriorates. With wet macular degeneration, leaky blood vessels grow under the retina. Blurred vision is a key symptom.
So what can you do to prevent or slow the progression?
- Exercise regularly
- Stop smoking
- Wear sunglasses when you’re outside
- See your eye doc if you have a concern
- Faithfully take your antioxidant vitamins: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene, Zinc and Copper, Curcumin
Food is medicine so it is super important and here are my top five suggestions:
- Eggs and that means the yolk, too.
- Leafy greens – collard greens are my favorite.
- Olive Oil – in a recent Australian study it was determined that about 7 tablespoons of olive oil per week was ideal.
- Coffee – yes, coffee!
- Nuts, fruit and the Mediterranean Diet.
Junk food is just that: junk. Avoid processed foods. Not only will you feel better about yourself, you will look healthy!